Now Reading
First National Bank Building Celebrates History

First National Bank Building Celebrates History

First National Bank

“FIRST NATIONAL BANK Celebrates Anniversary; Local Institution Has Made Wonderful Progress” was the headline on the front page of the October 27, 1921 Ocean City Sentinel. The article began, “Saturday was a gala day for the First National Bank, of this city, when a reception was held in honor of the 20th anniversary of that institution.

A picture of the bank was included in the article along with a picture of R. B. Stites, bank president.

A brief history was included: “The First National Bank of Ocean City was granted its first charter on October 22, 1901, and opened for business on January 2, 1902. It succeeded the Central Trust Company of Camden.

“The stockholders met in Knights of Pythias Hall on October 12,1901, and elected the following officers and directors: Lewis M. Cresse, president, Richard B. Stites, vice president; J. Fithian Tatem, solicitor.

“The following are the present officials: Officers: R. B. Stites, President; Howard S. Stainton, Vice-President; H. S. Mowrer, Cashier; B. C. Marshall, Assistant Cashier; J. Fithian, Solicitor.

“Directors: R. B. Stites, Howard S. Stainton, Herschel Petit, Randolph Marshall, R. W. Edwards, Ralph L. Coff, E. V. Corson, J. Fithian Tatem, Wm. G. Moore, Coleman F. Leaming, Jr., and Wm. G. Abbott.”

See Also

The bank’s building was built in 1896 for the Central Trust Company of Camden. The grand opening was held on May 13, 1897. It was the first brick building on the island. The First National Bank took over the building in 1901 and held its grand opening on January 2, 1902.

Island Gypsy currently occupies the former bank.

Find this story and more in our November/December issue
What's Your Reaction?
Excited
0
Happy
0
In Love
0
Mind Blown
0
Not Sure
0

© 2023 Ocean City Magazine. All Rights Reserved.

Scroll To Top
error: Content is protected !!