The Ocean City Pops orchestra is having a great season under new Artistic Director and Maestro Vince Lee, and there are still plenty of opportunities to enjoy this local treasure. The lineup for the rest of the season includes something for every musical taste.
· Symphony Night at the Pops II (August 25): The musicians of the Ocean City Pops take center stage as featured soloists. The orchestra will be at its virtuosic best as Maestro Vince Lee leads some of the greatest and most-beloved music in history.
· Kimber Sprawl — Girl From the North Country (August 29): New Broadway sensation and dynamite performer Kimber Sprawl blew away critics and audiences alike with her powerful performance in the new production of “Girl from the North Country” (featuring the music of Bob Dylan). Ms. Sprawl and Vince Lee first performed together with their hometown orchestra, the Cincinnati Pops, and are excited to share the stage again at the Ocean City Music Pier.
· Star Wars and Beyond — The Music of John Williams (September 1): With a career that spans an incredible seven decades, John Williams has helped to create some of the most memorable moments of the silver screen. Maestro Vince Lee leads an expanded Ocean City Pops orchestra in selections from “Star Wars,” “Harry Potter,” “Jurassic Park,” “E.T.” and so much more. Don’t miss the pre-concert events featuring characters from the movies.
· The Three Tenors of Ocean City (September 5): Come celebrate Labor Day weekend with a spectacular evening of song! Vocal superstars Chris Lysack, Robert Stahley, and David Gordon-Johnson join forces with Vince Lee and the Ocean City Pops.
· The Doo Wop Project (September 11): This group traces the evolution of Doo Wop from the classic sound of five guys singing tight harmonies on a street corner to the biggest hits on the radio today. The Ocean City Pops will feature the Doo Wop Project and take a journey from foundational tunes of groups like the Crests, Belmonts and Flamingos through their influences on the sounds of Smokey Robinson, The Temptations, and The Four Seasons all the way to DooWopified versions of modern musicians like Michael Jackson, Jason Mraz and Maroon 5. Featuring stars of Broadway’s smash hits “Jersey Boys” and “Motown: The Musical,” the Doo Wop Project brings unparalleled authenticity of sound and vocal excellence to recreate — and in some cases entirely reimagine — some of the greatest music in American pop and rock history.
· Phantom’s Eryn LeCroy — from Jersey to Broadway II (September 18): Phantom of the Opera’s Eryn LeCroy makes her widely-anticipated return to the Ocean City Music Pier after her critically-acclaimed debut in 2019! Widely seen as one of Broadway’s rising new stars, Ms. LeCroy brings her infectious energy and versatility to the stage for a knockout evening of song.
Shows are at the Ocean City Music Pier at 7:30 p.m. Tickets range from $15 to $25 and are available at oceancityvacation.com/boxoffice, 609-399-6111 or the Music Pier Box Office.
BARRY WILLIAMS TO APPEAR IN OCEAN CITY ON SEPT. 11
Barry Williams, who starred as America’s most reliable big brother in the 1970s sitcom “The Brady Bunch,” will visit Ocean City on Saturday, Sept. 11, and be on hand to meet and greet fans and to lead a parade of street rod cars down the boardwalk.
Hundreds of prized automobiles will be on display for Ocean City’s Classic Car and Street Rod Show, and Williams will lead a procession down the Ocean City Boardwalk from Sixth Street to 14th Street starting at noon Sept. 11.
At 1:30 p.m., he will be available to meet with up to 150 fans at the Ocean City Music Pier. For $10, individuals can meet Williams and take a selfie with the former teen star who later was active in musical theater. Merchandise also will be for sale for autographs. For more information, call 609-399-6111.
A full week of fun in Ocean City also includes:
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 25
Ocean City’s “Wacky But Not Tacky” series of Wacky Wednesdays wraps up another great summer at 10:30 a.m. Aug. 25 at the Ocean City Music Pier. The event invites families and individuals to participate in various activities and contests. This week, families will participate in a salt water taffy sculpting contest. The event will invite participants to create their own masterpieces from taffy. No advance registration is required for this free family event.
The popular weekly Farmers Market on the grounds of the Ocean City Tabernacle continue 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Wednesday through Sept. 29. The market features the best of fresh produce from local farms in the region, along with a variety of craft vendors.
THURSDAY, AUGUST 26
Market Days entertainment and activities on downtown Asbury Avenue will run 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Family Night entertainers at various blocks on the Ocean City Boardwalk will perform Thursday evenings 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.
FRIDAY, AUGUST 27
The Ocean Green Fair will include vendors and information on maintaining a sustainable community. The events runs 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Ocean City Music Pier loggia. For more information, call 609-399-6111.
FRIDAY AND SATURDAY, AUGUST 27-28
The Ocean City Theatre Company’s 5th-9th Grade Junior Company will present “Disney’s Moana Jr.,” a 60-minute musical adaptation of the 2016 Disney animated film, bringing the adventures of Moana and her village of Motunui to life onstage. This thrilling and heartwarming coming-of-age story follows the strong-willed Moana as she sets sail across the Pacific to save her village and discover the truth about her heritage. Shows are at 7:30 p.m. at the Ocean City Music Pier, and tickets are $15. They are available at oceancityvacation.com/boxoffice, 609-399-6111 or the Music Pier Box Office.