Ocean City is planning to open the 2021 season with a number of safe events for families.
“We’re looking forward to the return of as many events as possible this year, but health and safety will always be our top priority,” Mayor Jay Gillian said. “We may not be able to hold all of them, and some may look different. Every event that happens will fully comply with the most current public health guidelines.”
As the recovery from the pandemic continues, look for further announcements on events throughout the year.
· The Spring Block Party (Canceled): Due to CDC guidance on limiting the spread of COVID-19 and executive orders prohibiting outdoor gatherings larger than 200 people, the 2021 Spring Block Party that had been tentatively scheduled for May 1 will be canceled. Downtown merchants will hold outdoor table sales throughout the weekend of May 1 and 2. They also will offer discounts and specials during a Virtual Block Party all weekend long. The Fall Block Party is scheduled for Oct. 9, 2021.
· Free Paper-Shredding Day (May 1): Ocean City will hold its semi-annual Paper Shredding Day 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Shelter Road Recycling Center off Tennessee Avenue. This no-contact event will observe all public health guidelines. The event is free to residents and property owners in Ocean City. Please bring a driver’s license or other proof of residency/home ownership.
· Martin Z. Mollusk Day (May 8): In Ocean City’s own take on Groundhog Day, our crustacean mascot will seek his shadow to see if summer will come a week early. The fun begins at 11 a.m. on the beach at Ninth Street.
· Modern Muscle Car Invasion (May 8): Modern Muscle Carswill be displayed on the boardwalk noon to 5 p.m. from Fifth Street to 14th Street. For more information, visit modernmusclecarinvasion.com or email email@example.com.
· OCNJ Triathlon/Duathlon (Canceled): Due to public health restrictions, the annual triathlon that had been tentatively scheduled for May 16 will be canceled. Follow the status of other upcoming race events at www.ocnj.us/raceevents.
· Unlocking of the Ocean and Business Person’s Plunge (May 28): After dignitaries turn a wooden key to officially “unlock the ocean” for the season, local owners and employees dress in business attire, carry briefcases and march into the ocean to the strains of “Pomp and Circumstance” to welcome the new season. The event starts at noon on the beach next to the Ocean City Music Pier.
· Memorial Beach Challenge for 31 Heroes (May 29): The main obstacle course challenge is a soft sand adventure race followed by a kids’ fun run. Staging on the beach at Ninth Street. For registration information, visit memorialbeachchallenge.com or call 856-905-0583.
· Memorial Day Ceremony (May 31): Ocean City’s annual Memorial Day ceremony starts at 11 a.m. at the Ocean City Tabernacle.
· National Moment of Remembrance (May 31): This event asks Americans, wherever they are at 3 p.m. on Memorial Day, to pause in an act of national unity for a duration of one minute. The time 3 p.m. was chosen because it is the time when most Americans are enjoying their freedoms on the national holiday. The moment of remembrance will take place on the Boardwalk as Greg Murphy of Buglers Across America sounds “Taps” to commemorate the moment.
For further information on any event, call 609-399-6111.