Record Field Expected for OCNJ Half Marathon on Sunday, Sept. 30
Organizers for the OCNJ Half Marathon are expecting a record turnout for three races on Sunday, Sept. 30, with more than 1,650 people already registered.
More than 1,600 finishers participated in the event — which also includes a 10-mile non-competitive walk/run and a 5-kilometer race — last year. A total of 985 finished the half marathon. Registration for the 13.1-mile race continues through 4 p.m. Friday, Sept. 28. For complete information and registration, visit www.ocnj.us/race-events.
The increasingly popular event showcases Ocean City’s boardwalk, downtown and neighborhoods with ocean views throughout a fast, flat course. Music along the course adds to the experience.
The public is encouraged to come out and cheer for runners. Ocean City mascot Martin Z. Mollusk and the high school’s Red Raider mascot will make appearances. Volunteer groups man “peppy” water stations and are judged for their themes. Contact Lisa Rumer at email@example.com if your group would like to volunteer.
The OCNJ Half Marathon and 10-Miler start at 8:30 a.m. The event will include some brief road closings, including the closing of the Ocean City-Longport Bridge from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. on race day. Drivers on other streets and boardwalk pedestrians/bicyclists should anticipate delays as the field of runners passes by.
• Start is at 9th street, on the street end off the boardwalk. Close to Atlantic Ave.
• Proceed straight on 9th street and turn right at Asbury Avenue and run north towards Battersea Road.
• Intersection of Asbury Ave. and Battersea, turn right.
• Continue to intersection of Battersea Road and Wesley Ave., turn left onto Gardens Parkway toward Longport Bridge.
• Go over Longport Bridge to turn around at traffic signal. (Longport Bridge will be the only section of the race that will be run on your left side.)
• Return to Longport Bridge and go back over (look at beautiful view of Ocean City at the peak).
• Proceed to New Castle Road and take a left and continue east to Wesley Road.
• At intersection of New Castle and Wesley Road, make a right turn onto Wesley Road.
• Run on Wesley Road; turn left onto E. Atlantic Blvd. as it continues around the bend along the beach.
• Bear left onto Beach Road and run to North Street.
• At North Street turn right and immediately take a left turn onto Corinthian Ave.
• Go straight 2 blocks to St. James Place and turn left towards the Boardwalk. Enter the boardwalk and immediately turn right and go to end of Boardwalk at 23rd Street.
• Exit the boardwalk by taking a right and make the first left onto Wesley Avenue.
• At 29th street and Wesley Avenue turn right and go to Central Avenue, turn left onto Central
• Avenue and proceed to 36th Street turn around. Head back to…
• Intersection of 29th street and Central Avenue, turn right onto 29th street.
• Turn left at Wesley Ave. and run to 23rd Street.
• At 23rd and Wesley, turn right and continue to the Boardwalk. Immediate left on the boardwalk and go to the finish line at 9th Street and the Boardwalk!